English 100 Research Paper Prompt Overview
During Unit 3, we will be reading and discussing articles that address specific social issues that affect how we
view ourselves and others and, thus, cause us to behave in certain ways. Some of the ideas addressed in these
readings may move us to a point where we would like to take a stance on that issue.
In an argument-based research paper—with an introduction, 6-8 body paragraphs, and conclusion—please address your stance on one of the following eight topics:
1. unrealistic beauty standards and its effects on women in society (found in “The Beauty Myth”)
2. issues regarding racial injustice and the civil rights movement (found in “Letter from Birmingham Jail”)
3. issues with addiction and the effects on family (found in “Under the Influence”)
4. conforming to social standards in order to fit in (found in “Homeboy”)
5. issues regarding rights for LGBTQ+ community (found in “Gay Rights”)
6. women’s body autonomy (found in “More Room”)
7. issues with government and people’s health (found in “The Clan of the One-Breasted Women”)
8. issues with immigrants (found in “Immigrants” and “They Took Our Jobs”
You will need to use the main article from the Readers’ Club selections as support. The Reader’s Club packet can be found in the Week 12 module.
Begin your project by doing some background reading on your topic. Preliminary reading helps you:
Find sources on the topics that you identified in Step 1.