During Unit 3, we have been reading and discussing articles that address specific social issues that affect how we view ourselves and others and, thus, cause us to behave in certain ways. Some of the ideas addressed in these readings may have moved us to a point where we would like to take a stance on that issue.
In an argument-based research paper—with an introduction, 6-8 body paragraphs, and conclusion—please address your stance on one of the following eight topics:
1) unrealistic beauty standards and its effects on women in society (found in “The Beauty Myth”)
2) issues regarding racial injustice and the civil rights movement (found in “Letter from Birmingham”)
3) issues with addiction and the effects on family (found in “Under the Influence”)
4) conforming to social standards in order to fit in (found in “Homeboy”)
5) issues regarding rights for LGBTQ+ community (found in “Gay Rights”)
6) women’s body autonomy (found in “More Room”)
7) issues with government and people’s health (found in “The Clan of the One-Breasted Women”)
8) issues with government and social change (found in the immigration articlers).
Paper Topics should be a continuation of your group presentation (you’ll be working within the same
groups as Readers’ Club to develop research), now framed as a more specific argument identifying a
problem and a solution. You will need to use the main article from the Readers’ Club selections as
support. With permission, you may join another group and change your topic.
Begin your project by doing some background reading on your topic. Preliminary reading helps you:
Find sources on the topics that you identified in Step 1.