Need Books When the Library is Closed?
If you need a book when the library is closed, no worries. The MJC Library owns thousands of eBooks that you can use at any time of the day or night. You can find these in the MJC Library Catalog and in some of our research databases.
To connect to any of the research databases from off campus you will be prompted to log in with your MJC ID Number (your student # or your employee #) and your six-digit birth date.
The MJC Library research databases that will work best for you are...
Which eBooks Can I Download?
Approximately 22,000 eBooks available in our EBSCOhost eBook Collection can be downloaded either to your personal computer or your portable device (eBook reader or tablet) for reading offline. Some things you should know:
- You will be prompted to create a free account with EBSCO in order to download eBooks when you click the download link
- You will need to download the appropriate reader to your computer or portable device (see box below)
- You can choose the checkout period for the books--from 1 to 48 hours. While you have the book checked out (downloaded) no one else will have access to it, so please only check it out for as long as you need it.
- You may download up to five books at a time.
How Do I Download the eBooks?
EBSCO's Downloading & Devices page gives an overview of the process and provides a list of devices that are compatible with EBSCO eBooks.
Before you can read the eBooks, you must install the appropriate reader to your computer or personal device:
- iPad: First install BlueFire or Txtr (free, third-party apps)
- Kindle Fire: First install BlueFire (free, third-party app)
- Personal computer: First install Adobe Digital Editions (free software for Macintosh or Windows computers)
For full instructions, consult the following: