There are two types of notecards: those that are linked to a source citation and those that are not. This second kind is called a “thought card” because it contains your own thoughts or a reminder to yourself, and is not tied to any reference in your source list.
1. Once you create and open a new project in NoodleTools, there are two ways to create and access your notecards: the Sources and Notecards screens. Since you can view and edit all of your notecards in either screen, you’ll find that you develop a preference for working in either the Notecards or Sources screen as you take notes.
Create a Notecard From the Sources Screen
On the Sources screen, click “New” in the Notecards column next to a reference.
Create a Notecard From the Notecards Screen
On the Notecards screen, click +New above the Notecard Tabletop.
2. Regardless of what screen you use to create your notecard, once you select new your notecard opens for you to edit.
3. In the Title field, choose a short description (1-3 words) that represent the main idea of the notecard. You might choose to wait and decide on a good title for the notecard once you’ve filled in the notecard content, like your paraphrase or summary
4. Select the source from the Source dropdown list and specify the URL and page numbers if any in the fields to the right.
5. Copy and paste the source material into the Direct quotation field ("Copy, paste and annotate here").
Some helpful hints:
6. Add new tags or select previously added tags from My tags in the field to the right.
7. When you edit a notecard, your changes are automatically saved. To revert to an earlier version, click "Manage versions." A new window will display the current version and previously saved versions. To select an earlier version, click the date and time of the version to revert the notecard to that version saved. To return to your notecard, click "Manage versions."
8. Click Save and Close to close the notecard.
On the Sources screen, you can show or hide notecards for a particular reference by clicking “Show” or “Hide” in the Notecards column. On the Notecards screen, the new notecard appears in the upper left corner of your tabletop view.
On the Sources screen, in the Notecard column, click “Show” to view the notecard, then select Edit on the notecard's Options menu.
On the Notecard Tabletop view, hover over a notecard (or long-press a notecard on an iPad) and click Edit.
On the Notecard Detail view, click Edit at the lower right corner of any notecard in the middle panel.
When you finish editing the notecard, click Save to save your changes and close the window.
When you click New to create a notecard from the Sources screen, it is automatically associated with the source that you are working with.
If you create a notecard from the Notecards screen, you must select the source from a dropdown list when you are creating the notecard. When you edit an existing notecard (from either the Sources or Notecards screens), you can change this source association by selecting a new source from the Source dropdown list on the Edit notecard screen.
To link multiple notecards to a source at once, select any number of notecards on the Notecard Tabletop view (they will display with an orange selection rectangle), then click Link to source above the tabletop. Select the source from the Select source dropdown list and click Submit to save the change.
NOTE: If you delete a source reference, any notecards linked to that source become unlinked from it; they become “thought cards”. If you restore a source reference, you will need to relink its notecards (either by editing each notecard and selecting the right item from the Source menu or by selecting multiple notecards on the Notecard Tabletop and clicking Link to source to relink all of them).
How To Create a Notecard Pile
A notecard pile is a group of notecards that:
On the Notecard Tabletop view, a pile is displayed as a stack of notecards with a number indicating how many notecards are in the pile.
Notecard piles can only be created and manipulated on the Notecards screen.
Create a New Notecard Pile
There are two ways you can created notecard piles. You can:
To create a new pile using the Manage Pile option:
View and Modify a Notecard Pile
Notecard piles can be expanded on the tabletop so that you can work with individual notecards within the pile.
To expand a notecard pile, hover your mouse over the pile and click Expand in the summary popup.
To view the full content of all of the notecards in a pile, switch to the Notecard Detail view and select the pile title by clicking the notecard titles in the left panel.
To remove a notecard from a notecard pile, select a notecard in the expanded view of the pile and drag-and-drop it outside the pile.
Delete a Notecard Pile
To delete a notecard pile:
NOTE: Notecard piles are not restored. If a notecard was in a pile when it was deleted, the individual notecard will be restored as a stand-alone notecard on the Tabletop when recovered.
Reorder Notecards Within a Notecard Pile